10 Great Indies!
Simply put, an indie film is any film that is not produced by a major film studio. Most indie films go unnoticed by most people. However, there is a significant amount of indie films that do well and that people love. Here is a list of ten great favorite indie films.
1) Juno: The sarcastic, yet lovable Juno finds herself in trouble when she learns that she is pregnant. Determining that she does not wish to become a teen mother, she sets out to find the perfect family to raise her child. This is a heartwarming film, accompanied by an excellent soundtrack.
2) Garden State: Zach Braff wrote, directed, and starred in this film about a young man who returns home for his mother’s funeral and meets a young woman who helps him to discover who he is. This film also is accompanied by a great, Grammy-award-winning, soundtrack.
3) Good Will Hunting: Matt Damon plays Will Hunting, a genius who spends his time hanging out with his friends rather than attending school and living up to his full potential. When he is forced to meet with a therapist (played by Robin Williams) he begins to realize that he needs to make some changes to the way that he’s been living.
4) Bowling For Columbine: In Michael Moore’s documentary about the tragedy at Columbine High School in Colorado, the audience learns about the very scary reality of violence and gun-ownership in America. This documentary will open your eyes to the truth about violence in America.
5) Billy Elliot: This British film tells the story of a young boy who just wanted to dance. The film is set in the late 1980’s in Northern England, as the coal-mining community goes on strike in a time of economic depression in Great Britain. The dancing and plot make this a can’t-miss-film.
6) (500) Days of Summer: Tom meets Summer and instantly falls in love. Within the next 500 days, Tom experiences an unforgettable relationship with Summer. This film, which is not presented in chronological order, explores Tom’s relationship with Summer in a very unique way.
7) Waitress: Keri Russell stars in this film about a woman who is abused by her husband. When Jenna (Russell) becomes pregnant, she becomes determined to gather enough money to leave her husband in order for her child to have a better life. There is hope for Jenna when she learns about a pie-baking contest that will provide her with the money she needs to make it on her own if she wins. This is a remarkable film that can’t be missed.
8) Adventureland: This is a quirky film about a recent college graduate, James, who must cancel his summer plans to backpack through Europe and work in the local amusement park, Adventureland. James soon falls for co-worker Em, yet he is rejected by her because, unbeknownst to him, she is having an affair with the maintenance guy. This is a film unlike any other and one you must see.
9) Whip It: In this film about teenage rebellion, Bliss discovers the exciting life of roller derbies. Bliss would rather join a roller derby team than participate in the beauty pageants that her mother keeps entering her in.
10) Little Miss Sunshine: This film tells the story of a dysfunctional family as they make the journey to California in order for Olive to be able to compete in the “Little Miss Sunshine Beauty Pageant.” Along the way, the family faces some unusual obstacles. This is a unique story that will have you rolling on the floor laughing.
Now, go indie it up! :)
SnagFilms, Staff Blogger